Welcome to Scalarama – a celebration of cinema every September!
Imagine a month of cinema – 30 days in which cinemas across the world join together to celebrate watching films together – where cities, towns and villages are transformed with cinemas popping up in unexpected places – and where classic, rare or locally made films get an annual showing. This is Scalarama!
Since 2011, every September, cinemas, film clubs and film festivals plus various organisations and individuals who have a passion for movies, have united to celebrate and encourage watching films together. This annual celebration, started in the UK, sees September transform into a month of amazing films, screened in various locations and by all different types of people – from established picture palaces to newbies, completely new to screening films.
Scalarama is by everyone, for everyone, everywhere, with DIY in its veins. There’s no cost to being involved, and we hope you find new activities, venues and friendships wherever you live.
Scalarama 2017 is confirmed to take place in the UK in Leeds – Manchester – Glasgow – Brighton – London – Bristol – Nottingham – Liverpool – Birmingham – Hull and in France Toulouse, with many more cities to be confirmed.
Want to start a Scalarama in your village, town or city? Just drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you started. Gather like minded people, plan in advance, keep it inclusive and share your passion!
- If you are new to Scalarama, have a browse around the website and get in touch if there’s any more information you need – we will be updating it all the time with more links and resources.
- Keen to start showing films for the first time? Head over to our I Want To Be A Cinema page for the basics on starting film screenings.
- Been involved in Scalarama already and want to find out what’s new this year? Head to our Shared Programme pages for 2017 info and check out what different cities have been discussing so far.
- Want a taste of Scalarama? Check out our Letterboxd page with every film shown in the season, or visit the Scalarama map of all screening locations. You can see what the press have said about Scalarama (all good, we can assure you!)
- Want to get involved or need more info? With loads of support out there, it has never been a better time to get screening and start dreaming what you would show. For more information or to find local support, email email@example.com.